“Hope for the best but plan for the worst” – good advice my father gave me! So, yes, I pop a couple of quid on the lottery now and then. Sadly, the chances of winning the jackpot are tiny compared to the chances of a PC or laptop crash or lockout losing access to all my files, photos, and emails. So, while I am waiting for the call from Camelot, I also make sure my computer is properly backed up. In the event of a disaster, I could recover treasured data after its fixed or replaced.
So, take a little moment to think through – Do you have a disaster recovery plan?
- Make a recovery file (see separate post)
- Make sure you have a backup routine that you keep up-to-date. Keep backups separate from your PC or Laptop
- Keep copies of irreplaceable files, photos and documents on separate media (like a memory stick)
- Be aware that recordable CDs and DVDs fade with time. Make fresh copies every couple of years
- Consider using our cloud backup service to keep online copies of your precious files and keep them synced with your PC.